HOUSTON, TX (Jan. 30, 2018) – February marks the national celebration of American Heart Month, when the American Heart Association (AHA) shines its torch on the number one killer of all Americans – heart disease. While heart disease is a risk for all Americans, it’s no secret that women are at a greater risk. In fact, cardiovascular diseases cause one in three women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every minute. Over the past decade, the AHA has made remarkable progress through its Go Red for Women® Campaign; however, there is still much work to do and awareness to raise so more women can be reached and more lives saved.
Throughout this iconic month, the Greater Houston area is encouraged to join the AHA’s efforts by participating in National Wear Red Day (Feb. 2), committing to a healthy lifestyle, and spreading the message that heart disease is the primary health threat for those that are near and dear to our hearts.
The AHA invites Houstonians to help amplify the month’s mission by taking part in the following events over the course of the next month:
Feb. 1 – 28, 2018:
- Free Heart Month Guest Speaker:
- AHA can provide a speaker to come and share the signs and symptoms of heart disease and stroke, and speak about numerous topics. Organizers kindly request six-weeks lead time and an audience of at least 50 people. To request a speaker, click here: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Affiliate/Houston-Speakers-Bureau-Form_UCM_316657_Form.jsp
Jan 30 – Feb. 5, 2018
- Macy’s Wear Red Sale:
- The Go Red for Women® national sponsor, Macy’s, will again offer all-day savings to customers that purchase a Red Dress Pin for $3.00. If customers purchase the pin or wear red they will receive a special 25% savings discount. Macy’s will donate 100% of all pin sales to Go Red for Women® – and the funds stay local! So shop your area Houston Macy’s that week!
- The 15th Annual National Wear Red Day:
- Wear Red Day:
Show your support by wearing red on Friday, Feb. 2, and throughout the month to build awareness and inspire action. #GoRedAndGive
- Red Buildings:
Many Houston institutions will celebrate National Wear Red Day on Feb. 2 and Heart Month by turning their building red. Houston City Hall will light up its walls with up lighting, while buildings around the City of Houston, The Woodlands, and other suburban areas will go red.
Feb. 3, 2018
- Houston Heart Ball at Hilton Americas-Houston:
- AHA hosts the most anticipated social event of the season, the 2018 The Beat Goes On Heart Ball chaired by Cathy & Joe Cleary. This elegant, black-tie event will feature dinner, dancing and a live auction. For more information visit: houstonheartball.heart.org.
Feb. 23, 2018
- Bay Area Go Red for Women Luncheon at South Shore Harbour Resort and Conference Center:
- Join the AHA as we celebrate the fight against the women’s greatest health threat with the annual Bay Area Go Red for Women® Luncheon. This year’s luncheon will bring back the annual Heart Throb competition and the third annual Survivors with Style Fashion Show. For more information, visit bayareagored.ahaevents.org.
Feb. 24, 2018
- Montgomery County Heart Ball at Woodlands Waterway Marriott:
- AHA hosts one of the best parties in town, the 2018 An Exhilarating Evening at the Grand Prix Heart Ball chaired by Marina & Bryan Frenchak. The elegant, black-tie event will feature dinner, dancing and a live auction. For more information and tickets visit: ahaevents.org.
About Go Red For Women
In the United States, cardiovascular diseases kill approximately 1 in 3 women each year. Go Red For Women is the American Heart Association’s national movement to end heart disease and stroke in women. Cardiovascular diseases in the U.S. kill approximately one woman every 80 seconds. The good news is that 80 percent of cardiac events may be prevented with education and lifestyle changes. Go Red For Women advocates for more research and swifter action for women’s heart health. The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement is nationally sponsored by Macy’s and CVS Health, with additional support from our cause supporters. For more information, please visit GoRedForWomen.org or call 1-888-MY-HEART (1-888-694-3278).
CONNECT WITH US VIA SOCIAL MEDIA:
Find out more about American Heart Month and local Go Red For Women® activities by visiting GoRedForWomen.org and join the conversation with the #GoRedAndGive hashtag. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @ahahouston.